Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Music to my ears: New Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings


Sharon Jones is my all time favourite singer. She is like a cooler, skinnier and better dressed Aretha Franklin (I do like her to.) Her new album came out this week. A month early as her label wanted to ride the buzz train from the Michael Buble performance from SNL that Sharon dueted and stole the show.

This album was recorded on an old fashioned 8-Track with her band the Dap Kings. The Dap Kings also played all the music on Amy Winehouse's last hit album.

My favourite song is "Better Things" where Jones says goodbye to a bad relationship after I cheating spouse. Listen below:



The album titled "I learned the hard way," Makes it clear that 51 year old Jones has been through some heart break. I'll keep this close for the next time I dumped and traumatized for the 3-4 days it takes me to get over it.

You can listen to whole album on Spinner til Sunday right here.

No comments: